Orgelbau Kuhn
 
 
 

Orgelbau Th. Kuhn AG, 1995

New organ

Windchests: slider chests
Key action: mechanical
Stop action: electrical

Inauguration: 03.12.1995

Expert: Günter Eumann
Architect: Hubertus Wande
Case design: Georg Weismann
Voicing: Kurt Baumann



Discography:
Orgelmusik aus der Stiftskirche St. Arnual
50 Jahre hmt
Symphonische Improvisationen
Touching Colours


Bibliography:
Die Stiftskirche St. Arnual in Saarbrücken

© pictures Orgelbau Kuhn AG, Männedorf



portrait number 113610
www.orgelbau.ch/ope=113610

Saarbrücken III/P/44
Germany, Saarland
Evang. Kirche St. Arnual

The Collegiate Church of St. Arnual, originating from the 14th century, became a Protestant church of the region in 1575, following the Reformation. The village of St. Arnual officially became part of the town of Saarbrücken in 1896. During a renovation of the church in 1886/88, a gallery was built into the square-shaped area below the tower to the west of the nave on which the organ built at this time was positioned. This location had a number of acoustic disadvantages since, for reasons of stability (weight of the tower), a pointed arch was necessary for strengthening, which restricted the area at the sides and prevented an optimal radiation of sound into the nave. The effect of the sound of the old organ was consequently always found to be lacking in strength.

As a crowning conclusion to the latest restoration of the building (1984-1994) an organ was to be built which, through appropriate construction, should overcome the problems previously experienced. At the same time it became clear that the «Hochschule des Saalandes für Musik und Theater» required additional tuition and concert facilities for organ students. This led to a fortunate collaborative project involving all future users of the instrument. Since an alternative to the already existing organs of the college (built by Klais and Schuke) was desired, a French influence in the tonal characteristics of the organ, suitable for the interpretation of symphonic music of the 19th and 20th centuries, was requested. The stoplist was drawn up on the basis of these considerations.

The officials for the Preservation of Ancient Monuments requested a modern, as opposed to historic, appearance, which should, however, blend well with the 14th century Gothic architecture. Through slim, high-reaching flats and towers we sought to bind the organ into the image of the red-toned sandstone ribbing which stretches up into the heavens. A slight angling of the outer flats of the façade (Pedal Organ) and their case projects the sound better into the central nave and prevents too strong a restriction of the sound radiation by the limiting transverse arch. A thorough closing-off of the case also results in a forwards projection of sound. In this way, the loss of a certain percentage of the sound energy into the arched area below the tower, as was the case with the old organ with its open façade, could be prevented. According to general opinion, this new design has proved thoroughly successful.

Translation 2008: SJR
 
 
   
 © Kuhn Organ Builders Ltd   Update 15.09.2014    info©orgelbau.ch