Orgelbau Kuhn
 
 
 
Gründer der Orgelbau Kuhn AG
Johann Nepomuk Kuhn (1827-1888)

Company history

 
It is with pleasure and some pride that we look back on a long and successful company tradition. It all started in 1864, when Johann Nepomuk Kuhn, a master organ builder, settled in Männedorf and founded his own company. A native of southern Germany, he had completed his training near Weigle in Stuttgart. He first saw the shores of Lake Zurich in 1863, when he came as an employee of Eberhard Friedrich Walcker to build a new organ for the church in Männedorf. He was so taken by the region that he decided to stay and set up his own company.
 

First major assignments

 
Within the space of a few years, Kuhn had made a name for himself and began to acquire major orders, such as one for a concert hall organ at the Tonhalle in Zurich (1872). Other highlights in his career included prestigious commissions to build the organs in St. Gallen cathedral (1875) and the superb Minster in the old town of Zurich (1876).

In terms of sound and technology, Johann Nepomuk Kuhn was very much indebted to the age he lived in and the traditions of his southern German origins. He only built mechanical cone chest organs. To make its larger instruments easier to play, the company used the Barker lever or «pneumatique», as it was generally referred to then. In keeping with the fashion of the times, Nepomuk’s organ cases were usually neo-Gothic, but he was also careful to integrate other revivalist styles.
 
 
   
 © Kuhn Organ Builders Ltd   Update 29.01.2018    info©orgelbau.ch