Switzerland, Saint Gall
Painting, Colour, Sound
The parish church of Bruder Klaus in Hinterforst was built by the architect Albert Bayer and officially opened in 1951. The simple, functional interior is impressively dominated by the superb ceiling painted by Ferdinand Gehr (1896-1996).
The new organ stands on the gallery and is thus well favoured acoustically. The organ case was deliberately kept plain to avoid any competition by the splendid organ with the ceiling paintings.
Basically, the organ case is a simple, well-proportioned cube that is aligned with the central axis of the church. The most conspicuous feature of the organ is formed by the three pipe flats which are set in front of the cube and which take up the light grey, longitudinal rows in the church ceiling, thus to a certain extent continuing these in the organ front. These three clearly defined towers with the bass pipes of the Principal 8 ' stop are connected with the intermediate flats that are formed by the smaller pipes of this stop.
The materials used also contribute to how the organ is convincingly integrated into the colour scheme of the interior of the church. The organ case is made of larch wood, the fine decorations are of maple and the front pipes are cast in tin.
The specification of the new organ was not modelled on a particular historical instrument, but is the result of careful consideration and of discussions with the Organ Committee. It is based on modern musical practice and the great variety of tasks in church services and concerts. Organists will have to play music of many different kinds on this organ. Consequently, the new organ has not been conceived as the copy of a style, but quite deliberately as a modern organ of our time, and, moreover, recognizably so in its appearance.
Translation: RS 2017