The fascination of organ building

 

 

Kuhn Organ Builders Ltd, 2010

Restoration

Organ built by
Franz Reinisch, 1904
Windchests
cone chests
Key action
pneumatic
Stop action
pneumatic
Inauguration
29.05.2010
Expert
Gerd Pichler
Voicing
Niklaus Stengele


www.orgelbau.ch/ope=801470

Obertilliach

II/P/17

Austria, Tyrol
Röm.-kath. Pfarrkirche St. Ulrich

© pictures Orgelbau Kuhn AG, Männedorf

Kuhn Organ Builders Ltd, 2010

Restoration

Organ built by
Franz Reinisch, 1904
Windchests
cone chests
Key action
pneumatic
Stop action
pneumatic
Inauguration
29.05.2010
Expert
Gerd Pichler
Voicing
Niklaus Stengele

The preservation of the pneumatic organ built by organ builder Franz Reinisch of Steinach am Brenner in East Tyrol (opus 87) and dating from 1904 was a real concern to the Vienna Federal Monuments Office. In recent decades many new organs with slider chests and tracker actions have been built in this region. Consequently the number of pieces derived from the Romantic period with pneumatic actions declined.

There was no change to the organ's tonal scheme, even the original tin front pipes escaped from being used for military purposes in 1917. The only modifications to the instrument were the relocation of the console to the side of the gallery and the decrease of the case depth.

Due to lack of maintenance over the decades, the technical condition of the organ deteriorated and in the end it was in fact unplayable. Nonetheless, the organist was always fascinated by the few, still perceptible sounds, so that he agreed with enthusiasm to the proposals of the Federal Monuments Office and to our restoration plan. In this idyllically located mountain village with its tradition-conscious people, it was no time before all the inhabitants of Obertilliach backed this project and even made it financially possible.

The organ was badly soiled: birds had built their nests in the large pipes and dried insects lay several centimetres deep inside the boots of the trombone. The motor in the attic of the church was completely rusted and many lead tubes lay broken and loose inside the organ. The console was damaged in every conceivable way and the leather parts of the pneumatic control were no longer operational.

We disassembled the console completely and renovated it with care in our workshop. Defects in the case were repaired, broken parts glued or replaced, the leather membranes replaced and everything was examined for airtightness.

In the technical realm, the focus of the work was on the replacement of over 800 puffers below the cone valves and on relaying many hundred meter lead conveyances to the console that was relocated in front of the organ. The diaphragms of the coupling appliance, drawstop motors, relief pallets, everything had to be cleaned and exactly adjusted. Finally, even the pipes, that were temporarily stored in a stable, were again placed inside the organ.
The restoration was completed with a revoicing which comprised finishing only, so that the sound character of each stop remained unchanged.

When renovation of the church had been completed, the organ was reinaugurated on 29 Mai 2010. With good reason it may be considered in the organ landscape of East Tyrol as an instrument with a genuine tonal scheme of its time.

Translation: RS 2010



www.orgelbau.ch/ope=801470