The fascination of organ building

 

 

Kuhn Organ Builders Ltd, 2011

New organ

Windchests
slider chests
Key action
mechanical
Stop action
mechanical
Inauguration
22.05.2012
Case design
Christoph Jedele
Voicing
Thierry Pécaut


www.orgelbau.ch/ope=114490

Genève

II/P/8

Switzerland, Geneva
Cimetière de St-Georges

© pictures Orgelbau Kuhn AG, Männedorf

Kuhn Organ Builders Ltd, 2011

New organ

Windchests
slider chests
Key action
mechanical
Stop action
mechanical
Inauguration
22.05.2012
Case design
Christoph Jedele
Voicing
Thierry Pécaut

Tone - Form - Colour

The cemetary of Saint-Georges is the most important cemetary in Geneva. The «chapelle de l'Ange de la consolation» was built in 1902 and received its last full restoration in 2000. This chapel belongs without dispute to the most notable and beautiful constructions in the cemetary. In designing and building the new organ for this chapel we payed careful attention to how its tone, form and colour suit its surroundings in this impressive building, which also has a good acoustic.

Although there was only space for an instrument with 8 sounding stops, great musical diversity is, however, possible. The wide range of foundation stops and the three dual usage sliders contribute to the fact that the instrument meets the specific demands of this cemetary chapel perfectly.

We designed the façade of the new organ in close collaboration with our clients. Our preliminary designs were rather more elaborate than the final version. During the planning phase it quickly became apparent that a very discrete façade design with straight upper edges fits very well to the simple functionalism of the chapel. The case is made of walnut and bears close relation, both in colour and design, to the interior fittings of the chapel.


Translation: SJR 2011



www.orgelbau.ch/ope=114490