The fascination of organ building

 

 

Kuhn Organ Builders Ltd, 2009

Restoration

Organ built by
Otto Rieger, Jägerndorf, 1914
Windchests
cone chests
Key action
pneumatic
Stop action
pneumatic
Inauguration
26.04.2009
Expert
Pater Urban Stillhard
Voicing
Niklaus Stengele


www.orgelbau.ch/ope=801510

Gais

II/P/17

Italy, South Tyrol
Pfarrkirche

© pictures Orgelbau Kuhn AG, Männedorf

Kuhn Organ Builders Ltd, 2009

Restoration

Organ built by
Otto Rieger, Jägerndorf, 1914
Windchests
cone chests
Key action
pneumatic
Stop action
pneumatic
Inauguration
26.04.2009
Expert
Pater Urban Stillhard
Voicing
Niklaus Stengele

Restoration of a high standard

If organs could talk, the pneumatic Rieger organ dating from 1914 would surely complain bitterly about the loss of its high standard during the 1970s. With the renovation of the church it had to leave the upper gallery to make way for an open view on the west window. For three decades the organ cut a sorry figure on the lower gallery: the front appeared much too small in relation to the room, the large pedal pipes towered over the case, there was almost no space for the choir and the orchestra, and the organist had to sit jammed between two boxes when playing the organ. No one was happy with this situation.

The question arose as to whether a new organ should be built or the old one be restored. We recommended restoration. Together with the organists and the curators of ancient monuments, we wanted to show the appreciation the piece merits because there was no change to its tonal scheme. So everything depended on whether we could find an innovative solution to satisfy every requirement.

We relocated the organ on new galleries on both sides of the window which were not connected. Thus, the view on the window remains open. The choir and orchestra have the whole gallery at their disposal again and the location of the console is perfect. Apart from that, considerable rehabilitation work was necessary. Besides replacing the membranes, we had to relay the lead conveyances, in total several kilometres length.

Today the organ shines in new splendour, a symbol of the joint commitment to its preservation, and it has regained its high standard of 1914 when Rieger installed it. It is rarely possible to consider the requests of all involved in such a perfect manner. The restored piece confirms our conviction that responsible collaboration always leads to the best solution.


Translation: RS 2009



www.orgelbau.ch/ope=801510